Where can I teach in England with QTLS?

We often get asked about QTLS here at Axcis – that’s why we thought we’d provide some information on what it is, how you get it and where it allows you to teach.

Register with Axcis and become connected to a network of special and mainstream schools in your area for work.

What is QTLS?

Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) is a professional status that you can gain by successfully completing professional formation.

What is meant by professional formation?

Professional formation is a post-qualification process that enables you to demonstrate the effective use of skills and knowledge gained in your initial teacher training qualification and applied  in your current  professional practice that is required to achieve QTLS.

How do I get QTLS?

In order to apply for, gain and retain QTLS, you first need to be registered as a member of the Society for Education and Training (SET).  You then need to register your interest during one of the three available periods each year and make an initial payment of £100 (non-refundable).  Once you have made this payment, you will have access to your professional formation online workbook.

Why is QTLS good to have?

More than 15,000 people have achieved QTLS status since its introduction in 2008:

• QTLS status is recognised in law as equal to QTS for teaching in schools
  • Career progression: QTLS status demonstrates your commitment, skills and knowledge to employers
  • Recognition of your status as a professional teacher or trainer
  • Valuable continuing professional development (CPD) that builds confidence and enhances your skills
  • Members with QTLS can use these initials as a designation.

Where can I teach with QTLS?

Teachers in further education who have been awarded Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status by the Institute for Learning (now the Society for Education and Training) and are members of the Society for Education and Training have been confirmed as eligible by the government to teach in maintained schools in England.

So can I teach in primary, secondary and special schools if I have QTLS?

Since April 2012, FE trained teachers with QTLS have been recognised in legislation as equivalent in status to teachers with QTS in schools.  They are able to teach across all subjects and all ages on equal pay and conditions, opening up career development and wider employment opportunities.

Are you seeking employment with your QTLS qualification?

At Axcis, we work with many schools who are only too happy to consider FE qualified teachers who hold QTLS for long-term and permanent teaching posts. So, if you’re seeking a new role, why not register or check out our jobs page today?

13 comments on “Where can I teach in England with QTLS?
  1. Craig Keane says:

Hello

Your information below is incorrect. I’ve done research and contacted the GTCW and they have confirmed that having QTLS is not the same status in Wales as it is in England. Those with QTLS are not qualified to teach in Welsh schools.

Where can I teach with QTLS?

Teachers in further education who have been awarded Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills status by the Institute for Learning (now the Society for Education and Training) and are members of the Society for Education and Training have been confirmed as eligible by the government to teach in maintained schools in England and Wales.

• You are quite correct – we should not have used the word Wales in there – we will look to publish some alternative guidance for the Welsh system. Thanks for pointing it out, we will amend this article.

2. June Turner says:

I have applied for school teaching jobs in England with my QTLS and been told I am not considered as qualified to work in primary, middle or secondary education.

• Hi June – without sighting your qualifications directly it would be hard for me to comment, but if you hold full QTLS, and are registered as a teacher then you are considered a qualified teacher in England and can apply for teaching roles in state maintained schools. There is a lot of confusion in the industry about QTLS – my advice would be to talk to your teaching union about this and see what support they can provide. I hope that helps.

3. Asha Solanki says:

Having read some of the comments above i would like to ask for some advice please… I am considering applying for the QTLS program and currently working full time in a primary school not sure if its worth doing the course if i cant do the required placement at the school im already working at !!! i am getting mixed messages so was hoping if someone can give me advice or precise information as to go forward or reconsider. Would greatly appreciate any help advice ANYTHING !!! thank you

• Hi Asha I would advise having a chat with your current head teacher. Find out how they feel about QTLS, whether they feel that they are in a position to support a placement and ask their honest opinion of whether they would hire a teacher with QTLS rather than QTS. Unfortunately, as a BEd or a PGCE in primary would contain more relevant content, many head teachers would rather hire staff with those qualifications over QTLS, despite it being a valid teaching credential. I hope that helps.

4. imane jane says:

Hi I’m from morocco and just moved to UK I have been recommended to do a QTLS and start teaching in UK. I had a degree in Morocco and they told me here that I have to pass a test level 3 in maths and English if a I pass I will start my course to achieve a level 4 and 5 so I can apply for a QTLS; my question is:is that enough for me to become a qualified teacher in UK?
    tank you

• Hi – without assessing your qualifications directly, I wouldn’t be in a position to give you an accurate answer. However, UK Naric provide this exact service, so I’d suggest speaking with them. They should be able to help you.

• Hi – yes that should be enough to make you a qualified teacher in the UK as once you have a QTS or QTLS certificate in hand, that is your UK teaching credential. However, it is always worth verifying this with your training provider before undertaking any tests.

5. Garry Butchers says:

I am currently a lecturer in higher education, and have been for the last 4 years or so. I am currently undertaking my DTLLs which is due to finish in July. My ultimate aim is to teach in secondary but have no degree. Is undertaking a QTLS worth it, or is it dependant on the school if they accept you with this qualification?

• Ultimately it’s really up to the schools you apply to. It probably depends in part on how many applicants they receive and how much secondary experience each of those applicants have. I hope that helps!

• Mike says:

Hi Garry!
      In order to increase your chances of becoming a secondary school teacher with QTLS you should obtain a degree in the subject you want to teach ( Open University degrees are quite good).
      Without a degree and QTS it will be extremely difficult for you to find a job in a secondary school. Your degree and a bit of experience in secondary schools will help!

6. Ali Pearce says:

Hi all,

I currently hold QTLS (FSET)and hold a Childcare & Ed BAHons degree.
    I have been teaching a selection of subject lessons (not full time) and been a cover supervisor in a secondary school for over four years now. I am paid at scale 4 as a qualified teacher and as a Cover Supervisor. I have however, tried getting an EYFS job in Primary schools. I have been lucky enough to get interviews but the QTLS scares each establishment and they won’t acknowledge it.

My advice is take the QTS PGCE route for Primary or Secondary establishments. QTLS is better for FE.

Hope this helps.